I’m a humourist motivational speaker and company culture architect who, through my real world lived experience as a gay South African, Greek man faced prejudice in many forms. I help companies have the courageous conversations about the world of gender, diversity, equity and inclusivity.
My signature keynote, I Am Costa, is packed with humour, sensitivity and deep insights into how companies can use kindness and tolerance as a substrate upon which they can grow their greatness, creativity, productivity and profitability.
It touches on my journey where from a young age I learned to hide who I really was. Denying and failing to accept myself and my unique place in society nearly killed me. I developed coping mechanisms that included substance abuse. I wrote about this in my critically acclaimed book, I Am Costa: From Meth To Marathons.
When I am not speaking you’ll find me flipping burgers at either of my two RocoMamas franchises, or consulting on marketing strategy for my boutique list of clients. You may also come across my acting skills on Legacy or The River where my telenovela star is being polished. I’m often seen denying my dad bod in the mirror at gym, or socialising over a jar of Nutella – determined to start training for my 4th full Ironman triathlon race.
An incredible story and a true testament to the strength we have. Congratulations on taking back control of your body and mind.’
– Roland Schoeman. Olympic Swimmer
‘Sex, drugs and souvlaki – the full catastrophe! A witty, life-affirming tale of one man’s marathon road to redemption.’
– Gus Silber. Author and Journalist
‘Having lived as a “Greek boy” myself, I know the struggles of othering, stinky food and addiction. This is a story of hope and triumph. And lunacy….. because marathons. I savoured every page.’
– Pabi Moloi. Radio and TV Host
I help companies navigate the newly charted world of gender mainstreaming, diversity, equity, inclusion, and their shared authentic humanity so that they can build companies where people, flourish and want to work.
My talk educates in an engaging and entertaining way many diversity concepts that are normally difficult to navigate for companies
- I challenge thinking around diversity and inclusivity and invite everyone to be open to new ways to engage with each other
- I make people feel comfortable to express their authenticity in the workplace
- My humour and unique story creates a memorable moment for the collective audience. A moment that triggers new thinking and behaviour towards one another – to look for the humanity in each other
- I help companies create a culture where everyone feels they belong
- I help companies and employees be more tolerant and inclusive of all
- I assist companies and employees clear blocks in their restrictive thinking around diversity to foster better relations, communication, safety for all and increased creativity and productivity
What some people have said about me
- “Brutally honest and courageous.” – Renos Spanoudes, award winning theatre practitioner
- “I laughed, I cried.” – Kuli Roberts, TV Host and Producer
- “Honest, bright, crystal clear and boundless energy” – Budd Margolis, Quidich Innovation Labs
- “Costa is a true inspiration.” Kate Roberts, SA Double Olympic Triathlete